U.P.State Archives has an adequate research room which provides facilities to researchers, to consult reference material related to their specializations. It is open on all days except on Sundays & public holidays. Records are made available to researchers between 10.30 A.M. to 4.30 P.M.
Who can be a bonafied research scholar:
- Members of the Indian Historical Records Commission.
- Vice-Chancellors, Professors, Readers and Lecturers of all Indian Universities.
- Post graduate research workers of Indian Universities who must satisfy the Director of Archives as to their bonafies by furnishing certificates from their respective universities, Professors or Vice-Chancellors or any other evidence which may be necessary.
- Officers of the Government of Uttar Pradesh who are conducting research on a subject with the approval of the Heads of their Departments.
- Officers of the Government of India and other States who are conducting research on a subject with the approval of the Heads of their Departments.
- Any other person accepted by the Departments of the Government of Uttar Pradesh as research workers on the recommendation of the Director of Archives, Uttar Pradesh, or the Secretary to the Government of Uttar Pradesh, Cultural Affairs and Scientific Research Department, Lucknow, U.P.
- Foreign students can apply through the Ministry of Human Resource Development or the Govt. of India's Diplomatic & Consular representatives in their respective countries, testifying to their bonafies as research workers. They can also apply through their diplomatic representatives, Embassy or Delegations in India.
- For easy retrieval of records various types of finding aids have been prepared to assist the scholars. These Reference Media Include Guide to the Records, Subject list & Printed indexes etc.
- Facilities of obtaining Xerox & microfilms copies are also available for research scholars.